"The Six"

"The Six"

Thursday, March 11, 2010

...Reliving the glory of 7th grade.


OHHHHH Mannnnnn! Jr. High registration was tonight. Delaney was just totally relaxed. I however have had insane amounts of dread every time I walk by my huge dry erase calendar I use to semi-control my life. I even did the other face cleaner today, due to the fact that I feel like I look super old, and feel super old, and was trying anything to help me face the fact that my child is going to JR HIGH!
HER main concern was hooking up with her peeps to figure out lockers. And wearing these crazy high heeled shoes with her jeans.
We listened to the story about how seventh and eighth grade actually matter and how there will be a lovely little ceremony after eighth. We got the schpeel about credits and electives and all. And heard all about flex time where they get to basically dink around for a half hour a day if they hand in their homework.

Then we took the tour.

It was all lovely, I was cracking jokes and asking about the kids, you know, staying "loose". We walked down a hall and the guides told us it was the eighth grade hall...then the ninth grade hall...then the lunchroom... and poor directionless Delaney acted lost after the first corner. I tried to point out that there were signs and point out where we entered the school and where we turned and it made no difference.

Then we tried lockers.

What will become of her. She started turning the dial...casually, then I pointed out the instructions with the numbers on it. Wow. I tried to show her how to just flip it around the first couple times, and then go for the numbers. Then I was like - no, the other right...and now left...no, that was 49, you needed 43...no, the other left....you have to stop on the 31...okay now try pulling up on the handle....no, where it moves. Well, maybe try again. Again, same basic story. She was acting so ditzy and my stress levels were definitely increasing. The little guy next to us, passed with flying colors. I said - hey, I hope you get a locker next to her so you can help her out. She turned red and gave me a look of death.

Then we registered in the computer lab.

I was trying to get her to pick a seat and sit, and she was not wanting to sit by the guy and his mom on the back row so she was all hesitant. Naturally, that was when the Counselor said, hey, what is your name, why don't you come up and be the example for everyone, you know, since you are still standing. So we all got to watch Delaney register for 7th grade on the giant screen.

I know she is going to figure all of this out and will eventually find her classes and notice what she is doing before she ends up in the boys locker room - I will pace the floor until then. And invest in some Valium.

3 comments:

  1. oh Delaney!!!! I can't believe it. wow. She will be awesome. and I love the high heels and jeans. I bet she looked great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just did the same thing...It killed me! The worst in being Prego while walking your Jr. High student around.....I am too old for this!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe how fast she is growing up and so beautiful and sweet. All the girls and special "boy" are wonderful kids. love to all terry

    ReplyDelete